Pageviews last month

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Helmet Safety and TBI Books

In reading back over my posts, I realize that I contradicted myself. With that said I mean that I call myself “stupid” when I clearly state in the title that I do not consider myself
that at all.    Clearly stated I didn’t wear a helmet on the day of my accident. (so I was stupid pre-accident not after).  Not wearing my helmet  was the stupidest thing that I’ve ever done in my life.  Even if you are only riding your ATV to the mail box put that helmet on your head and strap it tight!   Wear a helmet for riding bicycles, skate boards,  scooters, motorcycles anything that will cause a jolt to your brain if you fall.    Adults listen to to this and make your children wear helmets  no matter what their age and you as adults must wear helmets too.  Yes even on your ATV’s.  

 What I saw while living  in FL was awful. Adults were holding baby’s/toddlers on their laps in ATV while they were mud bogging!  They need to get a babysitter for these children! ATV riding is not for babies it is an adult sport and can be a dangerous one at that.  I am not an alarmist but common sense and rules need to be followed.   Hundreds of people are injured or die every year from ATV accidents due to ignorance and or laziness.   Don’t let this happen to you or your loved one.  Prevention is the key.  Put your helmet on and make them wear theirs.   

Chances are pretty good that a helmet would have changed my life forever.  A helmet may have prevented me from losing the right part of my temporal lobe of my brain. That is what the neurosurgeon had to remove surgically after I had been flown to the hospital.  He said that I tried to kill my brain and then it tried to kill me by swelling.  I had many other injuries in addition to this one  but this was the biggest and most life altering. 


I have not read these yet but they're on my "To Do" list:
TBI Hell: A Traumatic Brain Injury Really Sucks110cc Four Wheelers 6" Tires Atvs, Spider Black

21st Century Veterans Health: Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) VA Independent Study Course and Additional Material - Cognitive Problems, Living with TBI, Family Impact, Treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment